Reaction Diffusion Textile Printing

If you haven't already, check out this post where I talk about how I created the pattern that I'm printing here first.

So I made the decision to try to print the fabric here on campus rather than shipping the file off to Spoonflower or one of the other companies that will do this work for you. This was partly for budgetary reasons, but also because I wanted to be involved in every step of the process, and this is a big part of it.

Unfortunately our print lab was out of nice rolls of HP print fabric, so I ended up ironing on some fusible to the back of some basic cotton I had and running it through the printer. First up some test swatches.
Since this fabric was just cheap stuff from Joannes and not treated with anything to make it better suited to absorbing the ink, the colors didn't come out quite as I intended. So I tried two versions, one normal and one with the red keyed out (since the printer handled black and blue much better)
Ultimately, I was very attached to the red design and just keyed up the contrast on photoshop ( I also can layer the same red sheer I used in the final gown of my collection to intensify the color during garment construction).
And after a stressful hour and a half of wrangling with the printer, what I ended up with was a beautiful yard and a half of custom reaction diffusion fabric! I can't wait to turn this into a finished piece, even though I ended up eating a lot of my fabric doing test swatches, so I don't have quite enough to make a complete dress, a bodice will most likely suffice.

I also ended up using the black and white version to line the white dress in my collection, a detail you can't see from the runway photos :)

No comments:

Post a Comment