1.20.2012

Leatherworking | Lunar Gala

this one started with a leather jacket that I thrifted from a church charity sale a couple years back. Soft, supple, real leather is very expensive,  and I had more than enough for a bodice in this jacket for 5$ (yes foresight!). On the downside, it sort of reeked of cigarettes and old biker babe, which was quickly mended by a trip to the dry cleaners and generous amounts of leather cleaner.


Leather doesn't slide easily against the foot of the sewing machine, sticking to the bottom and causing the stitches to become extroidinarily messy, To get around this, any edges that needed to be sewn I covered with tissue paper hastily ripped from christmas presents.




Aaargh, unfortunately I ran short on cash, so I couldn't afford to get my print made on Spoonflower. The semi-sheer silk that I needed to finish the skirt (none of their other options would drape or flow at all nicely) wound up being around 80$ for the two yards that I would need to make even a semi impressive gown.

So with a week left until the show, improvise.

These are the two scrap fabrics I was picking between. I really really really wanted this look to be a long maxi with a huge slit up the front a la Lanvin, but the silver silk cotton blend was just too heavy. It looked like a curtain.





No comments:

Post a Comment